PHY2303H S specialized: Quantum Theory of Solids II
|Course Title||PHY2303H S specialized|
|Year of Study||1st year|
|Time and Location||
Time: F 1-3
|Course Homepage||Link to Course Homepage|
The course will not follow a particular text. Here are some useful books.
- · N. W. Ashcroft and N. D. Mermin, Solid State Physics.
- · J. M. Ziman, Principles of the Theory of Solids.
- · A. A. Abrikosov, Fundamentals of the Theory of Metals.
- · D. Pines and P. Nozieres, The Theory of Quantum Liquids.
1. Electron-Electron Interactions
- Review of free electrons and specific heat
- The self-consistent-field approximation; Hartree and Hatree-Fock approximation
- Quantum theory of screening
- Thomas-Fermi and Random Phase Approximation
- Static and dynamic dielectric function
- Phase shift analysis and Friedel sum rule
- Plasma oscillations
- Linear response theory
- Fluctuation-dissipation theorem
- f-sum rule and conductivity sum rule
- Dynamical structure factor and scattering experiment
- Quasiparticles and Landau-Fermi-liquid theory
2. Transport Properties
- Boltzman Equation
- Electrical Conductivity
- Calculation of relaxation time
- General transport coefficient
- Thermal conductivity and Wiederman-Franz law
- Hall effect