Research Group Members
Postdocs: Piero Basini (R1, since 2012-08), Ping Tong (R4, since 2012-09)
Graduate students: Liang Ren (L2), Elliott Sales de Andrade (L3), Lin Zheng (R2, co-supervised), Ramin Saleh (R3, co-supervised), Qi Zhao (L4, co-supervised).
Research Interests (primarily in Seismology)
- Numerical simulations of 3-D seismic wave propagation in heterogeneous medium based upon the spectral-element method (SEM).
- Moment-tensor and finite-fault inversions using 3-D Green's functions for regional and global earthquakes.
- Constructions of 3-D sensitivity kernels by adjoint methods.
- Tomographic inversions based upon 3D initial models and 3D sensitivity kernels for frequency-dependent measurements at both the global and regional scales (Adjoint Tomography).
- Adjoint tomography of ambient noise-correlation data.
- High-resolution seismic imaging of scattered waves based on adjoint method.
- Nonlinear inversion/optimization methods; model resolution analysis.
- Fast kernel computations of 1D reference models for traditional tomography inversions.
Jun 2007 -- Aug 2008: Green Scholar (Postdoc), Institute of Geophysics and Planetary Physics, Scripps Institute of Oceanography, University of California, San Diego |
Jun 2006 -- May 2007: Assistant Scientist,
Seismological Laboratory, California Institute of Technology
July 2000 -- May 2006: Ph. D. in Geophysics, California Institute of Technology
Advisor: Jeroen Tromp
Spectral-element Simulations of 3D Seismic Wave Propagation
and Applications to Source and Structural Inversions
July 1995 -- Jun 2000: B.S. in Geophysics,
Department of Earth and Space Sciences and
Department of SCGY,
University of Science and Technology of China, China