Natalia N. Krasnopolskaia
PHY 385 Introductory Optics - Lecturer and Course Coordinator
PHY293 - Lecturer, Course and Lab Coordinator
PHY294 - Course and Lab Coordinator
Advanced Physics Laboratory - Instructor
Rm: MP 251B.
B.Sc., Ph.D. Rostov State University (Russia)
Lecturer (2007 - currently), Sessional Lecturer (2003-2007), Teaching Assistant (2002-2003) - Department of Physics, University of Toronto.
Research Associate (2007 - 2008) - Faculty of Science, University of Ontario Institute of Technology, Sessional Lecturer (2004 - 2006) - Faculty of Science, University of Ontario Institute of Technology
Associate Professor (1994-2002), Assistant Professor (1991-1994) - Department of Physics, Rostov State University (Russia). Senior Researcher (1988 - 1990), Researcher (1977 - 1988) Department of Nuclear Physics, Rostov State University (Russia).
Courses taught at the University of Toronto
PHY293/294 - Lab Coordinator
PHY385 - Coordinator and Lecturer
PHY180H1F - Coordinator and Lecturer/ Lab Coordinator
PHY132F/PHY131S - Coordinator and Lecturer
PHY327, PHY42X - Coordinator and Instructor
PHY151/152 Lab - Coordinator and Instructor
ESC101/102 - Lab Coordinator
PHY140Lab - Instructor
PHY291H1S Quantum Mechanics I for Engineering Science students - Coordinator and Lecturer
PHY135Y5Y - Coordinator
PHY110Y Thermodynamics, Electricity and Magnetism - Lecturer
PHY110Y/138Y Labs - Teaching Assistant
CAP (Canadian Association of Physicists) University Prize Exam - Coordinator
CAP (Canadian Association of Physicists) Exam for High School students - Coordinator
POPTOR (Physics Olympiad Preparation in TORonto) - Coordinator
NOF (National Olympiad Finals) - Experimental Competition Coordinator
IPhO (International Physics Olympiad) - Canadian Team Leader
I am creating and developing new pedagogical methods in teaching UG students of Physics Department, Life Science students and Engineering Science students University of Toronto. I am proud of developing and introducing the paperless physics laboratory as a main option for students of PHY180, PHY324, PHY385 and PHY293/294 Labs. The other area of teaching innovation is cooperation with UG students in creating and developing experiments for physics learning laboratories of 1st - 4th years. In summer 2010 I tested several research projects in Physics for the 1st year EngSci students and thus triggered foundation of SURF - Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship, that now involves junior students of the 1st and 2nd years into research projects of the Department of Physics. I am currently working on the online technique of teaching the data analysis for undergraduate lab courses.
In previous years, the most significant results were obtained in application of statistical methods to theory of x-ray characteristic spectrum excitation and absorption in heterogeneous solids and on their surface. The Ph.D. thesis "Excitation of x-ray radiation with beams of accelerated ions and monochromatic photons in thin granulated samples" (1986) started the study of interaction of x-rays, gamma-rays, accelerated protons, and electrons with non-uniformities in solids.
The other field of interest was investigation of cross-sections and total probability of interaction of the beams of ions, electrons, and radiation with heavy metals. As a part of this work, conducted in the Laboratory of Nuclear Reactions at JINR (Dubna, Russia), x-ray spectra for the elements from "stability islands" (Z = 114 and Z = 126) were predicted and calculated long before the element with Z = 114 was obtained in an experiment.
Extracts from the List of Publications
- N. Krasnopolskaia. Teaching data analysis in the undergraduate physics laboratory. 2017 CAP Congress: 28 May - 2 June 2017, Queen's University.
- N. Krasnopolskaia. Paperless Physics Laboratory Course Using the Blackboard Resources. 2015 CAP Congress: 15 - 19 June 2015, University of Alberta.
- N. Krasnopolskaia, S.Morris. Involving 1st year students in teaching and research activities in physics. 2013 CAP Congress: 26 - 31 May 2013, University of Montreal.
- N. Krasnopolskaia. Transition from traditional laboratory to "Physics Practicals": students' and TAs' feedback. 2013 CAP Congress: 26 - 31 May 2013, University of Montreal.
- J. McGibbon, R. Zhao and N. Krasnopolskaia. New techniques of observation of granular patterns in thin vertically vibrated layers. Canadian Undergraduate Physics Conference: 13-16 October 2011, University of Saskatchewan.
- A. Hui, H. Fu and N. Krasnopolskaia. Dynamics of vertically vibrated ball-chain under different exciting conditions. Canadian Undergraduate Physics Conference: 13-16 October 2011, University of Saskatchewan.
- N. Krasnopolskaia. Collaboration with students in developing experiments in advanced laboratory. 2010 CAP Congress: 6 - 11 June 2010, University of Toronto.
- N. Krasnopolskaia, T. Antimirova, P. Savard. Programmes in physics for talented high school students. 2010 CAP Congress: 6 - 11 June 2010, University of Toronto.
- David C. Bailey, Jason J. B. Harlow, Natalia N. Krasnopolskaia. The Advanced Physics Lab at the University of Toronto. 2009 AAPT Topical Conference on Advanced Laboratories, 23-25 July 2009. http://www.compadre.org/advlabs/tcal/Detail.cfm?id=2579.
- David C. Bailey, Jason J. B. Harlow, Natalia N. Krasnopolskaia, Stephen W. Morris. A "Knots" experiment. 2009 AAPT Topical Conference on Advanced Laboratories, 23-25 July 2009. http://www.compadre.org/advlabs/tcal/Detail.cfm?id=2589..
- V.F.Volkov, A.N.Eritenko, N.N.Krasnopolskaia. Detection limits of heavy elements obtained with K-series x-rays induced by electron accelerator bremsstrahlung. X-ray Spectrometry, 29, 2000.
- N.N.Krasnopolskaia, M.I.Gorelov. Thermodynamics: A Student's Manual for Undergraduate Studies. Rostov-na-Donu, RSU, 1999.
- N.N.Krasnopolskaia, M.I.Gorelov. The wave nature of ultimate particles: A Student's Manual for Undergraduate Studies. Rostov-na-Donu, RSU, 1995.
- N.N.Krasnopolskaia, M.I.Gorelov, L.M.Monastyrski. Principles of quantum physics: A Student's Manual for Undergraduate Studies. Rostov-na-Donu, RSU, 1993.
- N.N.Krasnopolskaia, V.F.Volkov. X-ray analysis of heterogeneous samples. XI CANAS - International Conference on Analytical Atomic Spectroscopy. Abstracts. Moscow, 1990.
- N.N.Krasnopolskaia, V.F.Volkov. Particle size effects in x-ray fluorescence analysis of monolayer samples. X-ray Spectrometry, 15, 1986.
- V.F.Volkov, N.N.Krasnopolskaia. Proton and photon induced x-ray fluorescence intensity from a monolayer sample of complex chemical and granular composition. X-ray Spectrometry, 13,1984.
The List of Publications contains 49 articles.
This page is maintained by Natalia Krasnopolskaia
Last updated on August 14, 2019