Geophysics Seminar Schedule (2019-2020)
2018 Joubin-James Lectures and short courses
Research Interests (primarily in Seismology)
- Numerical simulations of 3-D seismic wave propagation in heterogeneous medium based upon the spectral-element method (SEM).
- Moment-tensor and finite-fault inversions using 3-D Green's functions for regional and global earthquakes.
- Tomographic inversions based upon 3D initial models and 3D sensitivity kernels for frequency-dependent measurements at both the global and regional scales (i.e., adjoint tomography or full-waveform inversion).
- Adjoint tomography of multi-component ambient noise-correlation data.
- High-resolution seismic imaging of scattered waves based on adjoint method.
- Nonlinear inversion/optimization methods; model resolution analysis.
- Whole-mantle tomography based on kernel databases computed for 1D reference models.
- Microseismics and induced seismicity: event detection, source localization, mechanism inversions.
Jun 2007 -- Aug 2008: Green Scholar (Postdoc), Institute of Geophysics and Planetary Physics, Scripps Institute of Oceanography, University of California, San Diego |
Jun 2006 -- May 2007: Assistant Scientist,
Seismological Laboratory, California Institute of Technology
July 2000 -- May 2006: Ph. D. in Geophysics, California Institute of Technology
Advisor: Jeroen Tromp
Spectral-element Simulations of 3D Seismic Wave Propagation
and Applications to Source and Structural Inversions
July 1995 -- Jun 2000: B.S. in Geophysics,
Department of Earth and Space Sciences and
Department of SCGY,
University of Science and Technology of China, China
Current* and former group members
M.Sc. students: Mostafa Khorshidi (2018-)*, Na Wang (2015), Lin Zheng (2013), Mehdi (Sherveen) Ghofrani Tabar (2009)
Ph.D. students: Tianshi Liu (2018-)*, Xin Song (2013-2019), Chuangxin Lin (2013-2019)
Postdocs: Kai Wang (2018-)*, Piero Basini (2012-2014), Ping Tong (2012-2014)
Undergraduates (thesis): Jia Yoong Chong (2019), Yiru Zhou (2018, now at UofA), Qi Zhao (2012, now postdoc at Berkeley), Alex Bing (2010)
Visiting students: Liang Ding*(2018-), Shan Wu (2018), Chao Zhang (2016, now at Hohai), Changyi Yu (2016, now at TPEI), Qiang Zhang (2014-2016, now at IWHR), Felix Halpaap (2015), Jiupeng Hu (2015), Xueyuan Huang (2014, now at BTBU), Yunfeng Chen (2014)
Visiting scholars: Majid Bagheri*, Farzam Yamini Fard (2018), Langping Zhang (IES, CEA), Biao Guo (IG, CEA), Xueting Zhang (2013, HDU), Weifeng Yang (2013, CUMT), Shu-Huei Hung (all the time)