The Physics Library serves the faculty, staff, students, and researchers of the Department of Physics. The collection reflects the Department's teaching and research interests in quantum optics, condensed matter physics, particle physics, atmospheric physics, biological physics and geophysics. The Physics Library has a physical collection of approximately 36,000 books and journals, as well as an extensive collection of online resources. The library also holds a complete collection of the Department of Physics Masters and PhD theses/dissertations.
|Status||Loan Period||Renewals**||Borrowin Limit|
|Undergraduate Students||14 days||3||50 books|
|Graduate Students||28 days||3||100 books|
|Faculty Members||42 days||3||100 books|
|Physics Graduate Students and Faculty Members||42 days||unlimited for Physics Library materials||unlimited for Physics Library materials|
* For stacks materials only
** When a hold has been placed on an item it cannot be renewed. All items are subject to recall after the official loan period if they are placed on hold by another borrower. If the item is not returned within two days of the recall it is subject to a fine of $2/day. Renew Books Online!
Short Term Loan
The short term loan (STL) collection contains books that are course-related. There are two loan periods for STL items. From 10am-3pm the STL books can be used in the library. After 3pm, STL items can be taken home overnight, but are due back by 10am the following morning. On Friday afternoons, STL items taken after 3pm are due back Monday at 10am. Late short term loan items are subject to a fine of $0.50/hour.
Other Related Science Libraries On Campus
Physics researchers can often find of interest the supporting collections in the following libraries:
- Astronomy and Astrophysics Library, Room 1306, Burton Tower, McLennan Physical Laboratories, 60 St. George Street, 978-4268
- Chemistry Library, Room 480,, Davenport Wing, Lash Miller Chemical Labs, 80 St. George Street, 978-3587
- Engineering and Computer Science Library, Room 2402, Sanford Fleming Bldg., 10 King's College Road, 978-6494
- Gerstein Science Information Centre, 9 King's College Circle, 978-2280
- Mathematical Sciences Library, Room 6141, Bahen Centre, 40 St. George Street, 978-8624
- Noranda Earth Sciences Library, 2nd Floor, 5 Bancroft Ave., 978-3024
- All UofT Libraries