About the University of Toronto
- University of Toronto was founded in 1827 and it is Canada’s largest University with over 80,000 students (20% graduate students).
- UofT is consistently regarded as Canada’s top research university – 22nd in Natural Sciences according to Times Higher Education – 23rd internationally according to Shanghai Jiao Tong rankings
About the Department of Physics
- Physics faculty at UofT are highly distinguished: Among currently active faculty members are
- 14 Fellows of American Physical Society, 8 Fellows of Royal Society of Canada, 7 Canada Research Chairs
- 9 Fellows or Scholars of CIFAR, 7 Sloan Fellowships, 4 RSC Rutherford Medalists, 3 CAP Herzberg Medalists, and 5 CAP Lifetime Achievement Awards
- Our current graduate enrollment (2019/2020) totals 193 students in programmes leading to the M.Sc. and Ph.D.
- Typically about 20%-25% of our graduate students are women. For more information about women in physics research at U of T, see Women in Physics.
- Typically about 20% of our graduate students are international students.
- 70% of MSc students continue to Ph. D. program at UofT
- Median time to Ph. D. is 5.5 years (after BSc)
- 85% of students who begin a Ph. D. finish it.
- For more information about some of our distinguished alumni, see Nobel Prize Winners and the History of the Department of Physics.
- For the list of our recent graduates and their Ph. D. thesis title, see List of recent Ph. D.'s awarded.
2019: 24 PhDs. 2019 PhD graduate students
2018: 16 PhDs. 2018 PhD graduate students
2017: 21 PhDs. 2017 PhD graduate students
2016: 19 PhDs. 2016 PhD graduate students
2015: 27 PhDs. 2015 PhD graduate students
2014: 24 PhDs.
- Typical number of applications each year: 250-350
- Typical size of the incoming class (M. Sc. and Direct-Entry Ph. D.): 40-50
- Note that the composition of domestic vs international students each year varies significantly.
Building on the strong tradition of the last 100 years, the Department of Physics at U of T is continuing with great energy. Many new young, world-class physicists are being hired in tenure-track positions and setting up exciting research programmes. It is a great time to come to Toronto to do your graduate studies in Physics. For more information about life as a graduate student, see the Graduate Student Handbook.
We welcome the following new students who have decided to join us for graduate studies in September 2020. This new group of students continues the tradition of selecting the best applicants from all parts of the world.
|First Name||Last Name||University||Province/Country|
|Davit||Aslanyan||Yerevan State University||Republic of Armenia|
|Khodr||Badih||Imperial College||United Kingdom|
|Brendan||Barry||University of Massachusetts Amherst||USA|
|Apurba||Biswas||University of Southampton||United Kingdom|
|Anjishnu||Bose||Indian Institute of Science||India|
|Juan Felipe||Castaneda||University of Toronto||Ontario|
|Camilo||Castellanos Sanchez||Harvard University||USA|
|Jiefu||Cen||Simon Fraser University||British Columbia|
|Christian||Drago||University of Waterloo||Ontario|
|Ephraim||Dublin||University of Guelph||Ontario|
|Aleksandra||Elias Chereque||University of Toronto||Ontario|
|Victoria||Flood||University of Guelph||Ontario|
|Matthew||Gerry||University of Toronto||Ontario|
|Sobhan||Ghanbari||Sharif University of Technology||Iran|
|Andrew||Hardy||University of Toronto||Ontario|
|Genesis||Hearne||University of Oregon||USA|
|Christopher||Heath||University of Windsor||Ontario|
|Alvin||Heng||Nanyang Technological University||Republic of Singapore|
|Ezekiel||Horsley||University of Waterloo||Ontario|
|Joseph||Hung||University of Toronto||Ontario|
|Muhammad Osama||Ishtiak||American University of Beirut||USA|
|Jiayang||Jiang||University of Michigan Ann Arbor||USA|
|Ariel||Kelman||University of Toronto||Ontario|
|Maria||Lozano||University of Toronto||Ontario|
|Matthew||Man||University of Waterloo||Ontario|
|Erin||McGee||University of Guelph||Ontario|
|Fatemeh||Moradikalarde||Sharif University of Technology||Iran|
|Michael||Morris||University of Toronto||Ontario|
|Yevgen||Moskalenko||V.N. Karazin Kharkiv National University||Ukraine|
|Harshil||Neeraj||Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur||India|
|Vida-Michelle||Nixon||University of Nebraska-Lincoln||USA|
|Ali Emre||Ozer||Imperial College||United Kingdom|
|Emaad Muhammad||Paracha||University of Toronto||Ontario|
|Sebastien||Roy-Garand||St. Mary's University||USA|
|Brandon Oscar||Shew||University of Toronto||Ontario|
|Serene||Shum||University of Toronto||Ontario|
|Sophia||Simon||Free University of Berlin||Germany|
|Takahiro||Tow||University of Toronto||Ontario|
|Kevin Gin Sing||Xie||University of Waterloo||Ontario|
|Gang||Yang||Southern University of Science and Technology||China|